Undergraduate Academic Advising

Our academic advisors are the principal academic resource for undergraduate students in the Elliott School and are here to guide students throughout their entire undergraduate experience. Students are assigned a professional academic advisor based on their last name and are encouraged to regularly engage with their advisor and the Undergraduate Academic Advising office.


Make an Appointment with your Academic Advisor


photo: Tim Dodd headshot

Tim Dodd

Office of Undergraduate Academic Advising

"Elliott School academic advisors offer more than assistance with course selection and major declaration. Your advisor also will provide you with opportunities to reflect on your academic, personal and professional decisions; explore and find interconnection among your curricular and co-curricular experiences; and construct a distinctive and powerful personal story that will inform your life as a responsible citizen and ethical leader."

Engage with Academic Advising

COVID-19 Information

The Elliott School's Undergraduate Academic Advising Office is operating virtually until further notice. Please direct all messages and inquiries to 202-994-3002 or [email protected] and someone will respond as soon as possible. Students can continue to make advising appointments with their advisors, and the advisor will contact them with information about the medium through which the appointment will be held. The Elliott School is committed to the safety and care of our entire community, and we appreciate your patience and flexibility during this time.

Please review GW's Fall 2020 Plan for more information about how the University is operating as a result of COVID-19.

Meet With Your Academic Advisor

You have the option of scheduling both 30 minute and, at certain times of the semester, 15 minute "express" appointments, both of which are scheduled online. Please schedule a 30 minute appointment for more in-depth conversation about curriculum planning, personal issues or concerns, or multiple questions that require adequate time to respond. Thirty minute appointments must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance; often an advisor's calendar will not have available appointments for a week or two when you try to make an appointment so plan ahead when scheduling. 

During busy periods, you can schedule a same-day, 15 minute express appointment. Fifteen minute appointments need to be scheduled at least 2 hours in advance. A 15 minute appointment is appropriate if you have a quick question or two about a DegreeMAP issue, class scheduling, academic policy clarification, or other concern that can be addressed briefly.

Students are assigned to their Elliott School academic advisor based on their last name (see below). 

A-Bur, Lon-Mal: Morgan Quijano 

Bus-Ck, Mam-MarAmy Stearns 

Cl-Cos, Mas-Mat: Timothy Dodd

Cot-Ga, Mau-Mci: Kyle Godduhn-Braaten

Gb-Ho, Mcj-Med: Paul Wagner 

Hp-Lom: Abigail Nelson-Miller

Mj-Q: Chandra Holloway

R, Mee-Mey: Courtney Burton

S-Tu: Colten Karnedy

Tv-Z, Mez-Mi: Debbi Washington


Peer Advisors

In addition to the advising you receive from the professional academic advisors, the Elliott School offers supplemental advising from Peer Advisors. Peer Advisors are students like you, who can provide useful insight into many aspects of academic life at the Elliott School and GW.  While Peer Advisors assist in the teaching of First Year Experience (IAFF 1001), they also can offer unique guidance based on special training and personal experiences, Peer Advisors can help you:

  • Navigate your way through the University

  • Learn and understand the curriculum

  • Complete your Four Year Plan assignment

  • Determine which courses and professors may be of particular interest to you

  • Complete Elliott School forms and applications

  • Find more information on internships and studying abroad

In addition to discussing your academic concerns, please consider asking peer advisors questions like these:

  • What was the most beneficial advice you received about college?

  • What scared you most about starting college? How did you adjust?

  • Did you make any big mistakes your first year? What would you do differently?

  • What was the best thing that happened to you first year?

  • What's the best way to make close friends?


Meet our Peer Advisors


Important Information

While your academic advisor has specific and significant roles in your education at GW, you have an equally significant role with specific responsibilities. Academic advising is a two-way street and you must be proactive in your relationship with your academic advisor. In order to make your advising experience the best it can be, take a moment to reflect on the responsibilities of both the student and academic advisor.

View the Student-Advisor Compact

The academic policies and definitions listed below constitute some of the most frequently referenced University and school policies and guidelines, which are outlined in-depth in the University Bulletin under University Regulations or the Elliott School Regulations sections.

Academic Integrity – You must know, and make use of, all proper procedures for doing research, writing papers, and taking examinations. Acts of academic dishonesty will be processed through the proper University channels. You can review the University Code of Academic Integrity.

Academic Standing – You must maintain good academic standing with the University. You are in good standing if your semester and cumulative GPA is above 2.0. Consult the Bulletin for information on probation and suspension.

Audit – Auditing a course enables you to regularly attend a course without completing coursework or examinations. No credit is awarded, however, and standard tuition rates apply. You may not retake an audited course for credit. You may not change from credit to audit status, or vice versa, after the end of the eighth week of classes during the academic year.

Continuous Enrollment – You must register for continuous enrollment for a semester in which you plan to pursue an off-campus academic opportunity (such as an internship, study at another institution, or the completion of incomplete coursework). Continuous enrollment status is generally limited to one academic year. Contact your advisor if you wish to register for continuous enrollment, or have questions about this status. You can find additional information regarding continuous enrollment in the Bulletin.

Dean's Honor List – You are eligible to be placed on the Dean's Honor List for a given semester if you meet the following requirements:

  • You attain a 3.75 semester GPA in letter-graded coursework.

  • You earn at least 12 credit hours.

  • You pass all non-graded credit courses.

  • You do not have any incompletes or unauthorized withdrawals.

Drop/Withdrawal – You can drop a class during the designated registration period for a given semester. During the academic year, courses may be dropped through the end of the fourth week of classes. You may drop a class online using GWeb through the second week of classes. After that, you must use an RTF-EZ form (PDF).

You may withdraw from a class, and receive a grade of "W," during the designated withdrawal period during a given semester. During the academic year, the withdrawal period begins when the add/drop period ends and runs through the last day of classes. You must use an RTF-EZ form (PDF) to withdraw from a class; you may not withdraw in GWeb.

All drops and withdraws are subject to the refund schedule listed in the Bulletin.

Electives – Electives are courses that do not satisfy Elliott School requirements, but which count toward the credit hour requirement for graduation. You will complete a number of electives in addition to your Elliott School requirements to reach 120 earned credits.

Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) – FERPA is a federal law prohibiting the distribution of certain student information to parties outside the University without a student's expressed written consent (this includes parents and spouses). More information is available from The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities.

Grades & Grade Point Average (GPA) – The university grading system and grade point average calculation formula are listed in the Bulletin. The Elliott School does not calculate a "major GPA."

Holds – Holds are placed on student records by different University offices for different reasons (outstanding bills, incomplete immunization records, academic probation, etc.). A hold will prevent you from registering for classes, so you should check GWeb for holds well before registration begins. If you have a hold, contact the office that placed your hold to determine how to remove it. (GWeb lists contact information for the office that placed the hold.)

Incomplete Grade – At the option of the instructor, you may be awarded an incomplete grade if you are unable to complete the work of a course for reasons beyond your control. The instructor must be informed of, and approve of, your reasons before the date when final grades are due. You must complete the Incomplete Grade Contract (PDF) in conjunction with your instructor to receive an incomplete grade.

The entire incomplete grade policy can be found in the Bulletin.

Internal Transfer Policy – GW undergraduates wishing to transfer into the Elliott School must satisfy the following prerequisite requirements before submitting an Internal Transfer Request (PDF) to the Registrar's Office.

  • Complete 24 semester hours in residence at GW with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.

  • Complete four of the following five courses: ECON 1011, ECON 1012, HIST 1011, PSC 1001, and PSC 1003 (in lieu of IAFF 1005)

  • Complete or waive the first year of a modern foreign language.

If you are interested in transferring into the Elliott School, please complete the Online Information Session.

Leave of Absence – You must register for a Leave of Absence if you need to interrupt active pursuit of your degree for a semester. Leave of absence status is generally limited to one academic year. Contact your advisor if you wish to register for leave of absence or have questions about this status. You can find additional information regarding a Leave of Absence in the Bulletin.

Minimum Grade Policy – Students must earn a minimum grade of C- in each course taken to satisfy major and third-year language requirements. (Major requirements do not include the Introduction to the Major, Supporting Courses in the Liberal Arts, or Electives categories.) Contact your advisor if you earn a grade lower than C- in a course taken for your major.

Pass/No-Pass – The pass/no pass grading option is an alternative to the letter grade option in which you may earn academic credit for a course simply by passing the course. Only electives may be taken under this grading option. Grades of P or NP are recorded on your transcript, but not reflected in your GPA. You must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and obtain your advisor's permission to take a course pass/no pass. Up to six electives (a maximum one class per semester) may be taken under this grading option. You may not change from the letter grade option to the pass/no pass option, or vice versa, after the end of the eighth week of classes during the academic year.

Repeating a Course – Except for courses that specifically state that repetition for credit is permitted, you may not repeat a course in which you earned a grade of D- or better, unless the Elliott School or the department concerned requires you to do so (see Minimum Grade Policy).  Please see the bulletin for information regarding the First-Year Academic Forgiveness Policy.

Residence Requirement – Students must earn at least 60 credits in residence in order to graduate. Courses taken through the Consortium and approved semester GW study abroad programs count as courses in residence.

Transfer Credit – Please see details on our Transfer Credit page

Unauthorized Withdrawal ("Z" grade) – A "Z" is an administrative notation on your transcript indicating that you were registered for, but did not attend (or attended only briefly) or complete any graded work for a course. You would likely receive this grade if you stopped attending a course without dropping or withdrawing from the course in GWeb or via an RTF-EZ form.

This page contains links to both academic and non-academic resources at GW. Not sure which office to contact? Read the office descriptions below. Still not sure where to turn? Contact your academic advisor.

Career Center

A useful and necessary resource each year you are enrolled at GW. Find information on resumes, interviewing, internships, workshops, and job and internship listings in the Center for Career Services.

Colonial Central

Colonial Central is your service hub combining Student Financial Assistance, Student Accounts, the Registrar, and the Cashier's Office in one location: The Marvin Center.

Colonial Health Center

The Colonial Health Center is home to both Mental Health and Medical Services. Medical Services provides high-quality medical care to all GW students. Students can either make an appointment or, for urgent medical needs, walk-in during business hours.

The Mental Health Services office offers a broad range of confidential counseling services to help students navigate the various issues and obstacles they may face while at GW.  Students may meet with a counselor without an appointment during business hours.

Students seeking medical advice or counseling outside of normal business hours are encouraged to call the Colonial Health Center's after-hours hotline, which is available 24/7 to all GW students.

Disability Support Services

Do you have a learning or physical disability that warrants accommodations? Do you suspect that you might have a disability? Work with Disability Support Services to document your needs and find appropriate accommodations to help you reach your goals.

GW Division of Information Technology

Experiencing problems with your GW Mail, myGW portal, GWeb, or Blackboard? Contact the GW Division of IT Support Center for assistance.

Library Resources for Elliott School Students

Created specifically for you, the Gelman Library's Research Guides for International Affairs contains research guides and access to databases that are relevant to your degree.

Multicultural Student Services Center

GW's Multicultural Student Services Center helps you connect with students, staff, faculty, academic opportunities, and campus resources supporting GW's mission to promote and enhance multicultural awareness.

Parent Services

Wondering how to support your student's transition to GW? Looking to connect with the GW community? Have questions about GW? Parent Services is here for you.

Registrar's Office

The Registrar's Office is your source for information on University policies, registration, transcripts and certifications, and much more.

Student Accounts

Questions pertaining to your GW bills? The Student Accounts Office oversees general billing and collections. Located in Colonial Central.

Student Financial Assistance

Contact the Office of Student Financial Assistance with questions about your financial aid and/or scholarships. Located in Colonial Central.

Study Abroad Office

Work with your advisor and the Study Abroad Office to plan your study abroad experience in one of over two hundred partner locations on five continents.

Undergraduate Fellowships and Research

Looking to enhance your academic experience by conducting original research? Looking for funding opportunities or fellowship opportunities to support your unique academic interest? Look no further than the Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research.

Writing Center

Do you need assistance with a writing assignment, research paper, thesis, or personal statement? Peer tutors at the GW Writing Center will help you develop your ideas and clarify your syntax and diction.


The Elliott School has established a three-step process to address grade grievances as a result of reported arbitrary or capricious academic evaluation, in alignment with the Statement on Student Rights and Responsibilities. For grade grievances in non-IAFF courses, students should contact the respective academic department/school.

Grade Grievance Form


Contact Undergraduate Academic Advising

1957 E Street, NW, Suite 302

Washington, DC 20052

Phone: 202-994-3002

Email: [email protected]