- University Professor of Political Science and International Affairs
- Room 414 Monroe Hall
- [email protected]
Areas of Expertise
International organizations, organization theory, global governance, and ethics in international affairs
Martha Finnemore is University Professor of Political Science and International Affairs at George Washington University in Washington, DC. Her research focuses on global governance, international organizations, ethics, and social theory. She is the co-author (with Michael Barnett) of Rules for the World: International Organizations in Global Politics, which won the International Studies Association’s award for Best Book in 2006. She is also author of National Interests in International Society and The Purpose of Intervention, which won the American Political Science Association’s Woodrow Wilson Award as “the best book published on government, politics, or international affairs” in 2004. Her most recent books are Back to Basics: State Power in a Contemporary World (Oxford University Press 2013) and Who Governs the Globe? (Cambridge University Press 2010). Her articles have appeared in International Organization, World Politics, Annual Review of Political Science, Review of International Studies, Review of International Political Economy, Global Governance, Foreign Affairs and elsewhere. She is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, has been a visiting research fellow at the Brookings Institution and Stanford University, and has received fellowships or grants from the MacArthur Foundation, the Social Science Research Council, the Smith Richardson Foundation, and the United States Institute of Peace.
Ph.D., Stanford University
- Back to Basics: State Power in a Contemporary World, Martha Finnemore and Judith Goldstein, eds. (Oxford University Press 2013)
- Who Governs the Globe? Deborah D. Avant, Martha Finnemore, and Susan K. Sell, eds. (Cambridge University Press 2010)
- Rules for the World: International Organizations in Global Politics, Michael Barnett and Martha Finnemore (Cornell University Press 2004)
- The Purpose of Intervention (Cornell University Press 2003)
- National Interests in International Society (Cornell University Press 1996)
Dr. Finnemore's scholarly articles have appeared in International Organization, World Politics, Foreign Affairs, International Studies Quarterly, Review of International Studies, and other top journals.