Scheherazade S. Rehman
Areas of Expertise
International finance, global and emerging financial markets, central banking, economic development, privatization and financial sector development, corporate governance, regional financial crisis management, Middle East economics and Islamic finance, and the European Union
Dr. Rehman received her Ph.D. from The George Washington University. She is a Senior Research Fulbright Scholar and is the GW Director of the EU Research Center. She also currently serves on the Board of Directors of the International Trade and Finance Association.
Prior to teaching at GW, Dr. Rehman was a foreign exchange and money market trader in Bahrain. She is also a Senior Partner at the International Consultants Group which specializes in Middle East financial sector development and investment management. In 1997, she received a Senior Research Fulbright award to conduct a comprehensive study of South Asia-Pakistan economic and financial development. In 2001, she received the GW International Business Teaching Award and the GW Graduate Teaching Award. In 1998, she received the GW Bender Teaching Award and the First Annual Outstanding GW University Woman of the Year Award.
In 2006, Dr. Rehman was invited to speak at the Douglas Y.Thomas Visiting Economist Series at Bradley University and Caterpillar Inc. on "Oil and Arms: A Disastrous Environment for Economic Growth in the Middle East." The Visiting Economist Series has featured seminars by such distinguished economists as Milton Friedman, Robert Barro, Deidre McCloskey, James Buchanan, and Douglas North.
Ph.D., The George Washington University
- "Globalization Of Islamic Finance: Myth Or Reality?" (with F. Perry), International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, Vol. 1, No.19, December 2011.
- Corruption And Its Manifestation In The Persian Gulf, Hossein Askari, Scheherazade S. Rehman and Noora Arfaa (Edward Elgar Publishing, Ltd., 2010);
- European Global Trade And Finance (editor), The International Trade and Finance Association, 2002;
- Europe And The New Global Economy Vol. II (editor), The International Trade and Finance Association, 2001;
- Europe And The New Global Economy Vol. I (editor), The International Trade and Finance Association, 2001;
- The Quest For Stable Exchange Rate Systems For The Next Millennium (editor). Series in International Business & Finance, Special Guest Editor, New York: JAI Press, 1999;
- Financial Crisis Management in Regional Blocs (editor), Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998;
- The Path to European Economic and Monetary Union, Boston: Kluwer Academic Publishers. 1997.