Typical sessions include assistance with:
- Clarification of career goals
- Resume/cover letter critique
- Networking tips
- Job/internship search strategies
- Compensation negotiation assistance
- Job & internship advice for international students
- Career coaching for mid-career professionals
International Career Direction Assessment (ICDA)
The ICDA is a computerized self-assessment tool that looks at your skills and interests, work personality, and occupational preference profile in relation to a career in international affairs.
Professional Development Action Plan (PDAP)
The PDAP is required for all of our students regardless of academic program. The PDAP provides an opportunity to map out a career plan for the duration of the graduate program.
Specifically, the PDAP:
- Asks you to reflect on current skills/interests/abilities, what you would like to improve while you are at the Elliott School, and what actions you will take to do this.
- The focus is on school and work experience COMBINED.
We strongly encourage that you discuss your PDAP with a career coach.
Graduate Student Career Development Newsletter
The GSCD electronic newsletter is distributed on a monthly basis to all students. The newsletter features profiles of current students and alumni, career advice columns, career articles, and updates about events and deadlines.
ESCC Bi-Weekly Events Newsletter
Every other week, we send you updates about career events that are happening within the Elliott School, across campus, as well as in the greater Washington, D.C. area.
Walk-ins and evening appointments
Walk-ins are quick, 10 - 15 minute appointments that can be in-person, over the phone or via Skype. We are also available after-hours by appointment.
Job Search Strategy Group
Scheduled every second and fourth Wednesday throughout the year, the group meets to discuss job search issues. Guest speakers share tips and success stories.