Dr. Luke currently serves as the Chief Strategy and Innovation Officer at the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). She has over 15 years of experience in driving technology innovation across a number of sectors, including banking and finance, cybersecurity, national security, biotech, and academia.
Prior to joining the SEC, Dr. Luke spent several years as a senior executive in the banking industry. As the Senior Vice President and Head of AI at US Bank, in addition to leading AI-driven technology development, she created strategy that established a framework for governance and oversight of AI technologies and policies to guide the fair, ethical, and responsible use of AI. At Capital One, Dr. Luke spearheaded the creation of a patented first-in-banking application of AI/ML to predict customer intent and needs in real-time, and also led the development of an AI/ML application platform with proactive compliance, bias, and ethical checks built-in. In previous roles, Dr. Luke provided technical oversight of data science and ML-driven cybersecurity capabilities at DARPA and in the commercial sector.
Dr. Luke received her Ph.D. in theoretical physics from George Mason University. She is a recognized thought leader in AI/ML and emerging digital technologies, having presented at over 40 keynotes, lecture series, and presentations. Dr. Luke was also invited to testify as an expert on applications of AI/ML technology in the banking industry to both the Congressional Technology Accountability Caucus and the House Finance Committee.
Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), Data Science, Emerging Digital Technology, Non-Linear Dynamics, Condensed Matter Theory, Cybersecurity, Banking and Finance Laws/Rules/Regulations, Compliance and Risk, International Securities Laws/Policies
Selected Recent Media Engagements:
- Panelist (special invite), The Year Ahead: Next Generation Banking, Bloomberg Media, 2020
- Interview, Challenges in AI/ML Technology Implementation, Wall Street Journal, 2020
- Podcast and Interview, Ethics in AI/ML, American Banker, 2020
Selected Publications and Patents:
- U.S. Patent #10798030, “Pre-Chat Intent Prediction for Dialogue Generation,” issued October 6, 2020.
- Guss, P. et. al. “Small unmanned aircraft system for remote contour mapping of a nuclear radiation field,” Proceedings Volume 10393, Radiation Detectors in Medicine, Industry, and National Security XVIII; 2017.
- Joshi, T. et. al. “Measurement of the Energy-Dependent Angular Response of the ARES Detector System and Application to Aerial Imaging,” IEEE, 64:7, 2015.
- Luke, T. “Principal Component Analysis (PCA) and Noise Adjusted Single Value Decomposition (NASVD) Application on Aerial Data,” presentation at IEMC International AMS Technical Exchange, 2015.
- Luke, T., Barreto, E., and So, P. ""Macroscopic complexity from an autonomous network of networks of theta neurons,"" Frontiers of Computational Neuroscience, 8:145, 2014.
- Luke, T. Collective Dynamics for Heterogeneous Networks of Theta Neurons, Doctoral Dissertation, George Mason University, 2013.
- Luke T., Barreto E., and So P. “Complete classification of the macroscopic behavior of a heterogeneous network of theta neurons,” Neural Computation, 25(12), 3207-34, 2012.
- So P., Luke T., and Barreto E. “Networks of theta neurons with time-varying excitability: Macroscopic chaos, multistability, and final-state uncertainty,” Physica D, Vol. 267, 16-26, 2012.
- Luke T., Barreto E., and So P. “A dynamical study of pulse-coupled oscillators in the brain,” BMC Neuroscience 2012, 13(Supp 1):O12 - 2012.