Are you ready to make a difference?
Our nine graduate certificate programs each consists of six courses (18 hours)
that allow students to explore relevant international affairs topics outside
their fields of study. If you are ready to pursue an educational experience
that enhances your academic background, we encourage you to apply to a graduate
Start the application process.
To ensure your graduate certificate application is submitted correctly
and on time, follow this simple application process.
1. Review requirements.
You can enroll in a certificate program if you meet any of the
following admission requirements:
- presently enrolled in a graduate program either at The
George Washington University or another university
- possess an advanced degree at or above the master's
- possess a bachelor's degree and a minimum of eight years
of professional work experience*
*Applicants to the Political Psychology graduate certificate program do
not need an advanced degree or eight years of professional work
experience; a bachelor's will suffice.
2. Review important deadlines.
Ensure your materials are submitted by the admissions deadlines
for fall and spring semesters.
3. Review tuition and fees.
Familiarize yourself with The George Washington University's tuition
policies and estimated costs for Elliott School graduate students.
Tuition & fees
4. Assemble application materials.
- Elliott School application. Please complete this online.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation. We highly encourage letters of recommendation be submitted online through the application system. We will also accept letters submitted by fax, email, or regular mail. If your recommender is not submitting the letter online, please provide him or her with the recommendation form .
- One official transcript from each academic institution attended. Please include transcripts both from institutions at which you earned a degree and institutions at which you took non-degree courses. If you are a current GW student or an alumnus of the University, you may submit an unofficial transcript; however, you must request from the Registrar that a transcript be sent to our office.
- Resume or curriculum vitae. Please upload this with your online application.
- Statement of Purpose. Please upload this with your online application. In an essay of approximately 500 words, state your purpose in undertaking graduate study at the Elliott School. Describe your academic and research interests, career objectives, and how a graduate certificate from the Elliott School will enable you to achieve your goals. Please be specific.
- Alumni Referral Program. (optional)
- GRE. (optional) Taking this test is encouraged but not required.
5. Complete an application.
Please do this online.